Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates: There is so much controversy when it comes to carbohydrates. It is believed that you need to eliminate carbohydrates from your diet and that they are not good for you. But, that’s not true. Carbohydrates make up an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. We need carbohydrates because they are our body’s major energy providers. However, you need to choose the right kind of carbohydrates for that. It is true that not all kinds of carbohydrates are healthy. So, you must know the difference. Include only the good carbs in your diet and stay away from the bad carbs as much as you can.
Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates:
Sugar, starches and fibres are the three main types of carbohydrates.
Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates: Simple carbohydrates: These are the carbohydrates that are broken down by your body quickly. These are found in foods such as fruits, milk, milk products etc. However, these are also found in soft drinks, candies etc.
Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates: Complex carbohydrates: These are the carbohydrates that are broken doen slowly by your body.
Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates: Carbs to eat
Now, to avoid any confusion let’s take a look at the good carbohydrates i.e. the carbs that you should eat. These carbohydrates are good for your body and hence shouldn’t be avoided. The following carbohydrates should make up a part on your plate.
- Whole grains: Whole grains such as wheat, barley, jowar, oats, quinoa etc. make up an essential part of our diet. These are the good kinds of carbohydrates. You need to add these in your diet and definitely not refrain from these.
- Vegetables: Vegetables too contain carbs. These are the good carbs that shouldn’t be avoided as they are needed by your body. Potatoes, carrot, corn as some of the examples of it and you need to eat them.
- Fruits: Fruits are also sources of the good carbs. The belief that fruits are bad for you is totally wrong. You need to eat fruits as they are the sources of the good kinds of carbs. So, make sure that you include these in your diet.
- Beans and legumes: Various beans and legumes are also sources of the good i.e. the necessary carbs. Hence, make sure that you do not exclude these from your diet.
- Nuts and seeds: Another source of carbs that our body needs comes from nuts and seeds. These are also the good carbs and need to be included in your diet.
Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates: Carbs to avoid
Now, let’s take a look at the carbs that are best avoided and need not be a part of our diets.
- Anything that is made from white flour i.e. maida is best avoided. For example, white bread, pizza etc.
- Processed foods contain the bad kinds of carbs. Hence, it’s best to avoid them.
- Sugary drinks, sodas, soft drinks
Good carbohydrates vs bad carbohydrates: Replacing bad with the good
- Eat fruits instead of having juices.
- Choose whole grain bread over white bread.
- Snack on nuts, seeds and dry fruits instead of processed foods.
- Choose whole grains over cereals.