- Olive oil ½ tsp
- Onion (chopped) ½ small
- Garlic, chopped - 2 cloves
- Fresh oregano or basil (chopped) 1 tbsp or ½ tsp dried
- Fresh thyme (chopped) - 1 tsp or ¼ tsp. dried
- Tomatoes 1 cup chopped
- Vegetable broth 1 cup
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp
- Fresh herb sprigs - for garnishing [optional]
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano or basil and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato paste and sugar. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Using immersion blender, process until smooth.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.