- 1/2 cup rajma (kidney beans), soaked overnight
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups chawli (cow pea) leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
Wash and drain the rajma. Pressure cook them with 1 cup of water and salt for 2 to 3 whistles.
Allow the steam to escape before opening. Drain, discard the water and keep aside.
Heat a non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds.
Dry roast for about 30 seconds and then add the green chillies, ginger, garlic and onions and cook while stirring continuously till the onions turn brown.
Add the rajma, amaranth leaves and turmeric powder and mix well.
Add the milk and sugar and simmer for 5 to 7 more minutes. Serve hot.